Monday, January 30, 2012

20

Having pried through the strate, analyzed to a hair, consule'd 
                    with doctors and calculated close,
I find no sweeter fat than sticks to my own bones

In all people I see myself, none more and not one a barley
                    corn less,
And the good or bad I say of myself I say of them. 

I know I am solid and sound,
To me the converging objects of the universe perpetually
                  flow, 
All are written to me and I must get what the writing means.


I find these lines interesting because they show the dual meaning of Whitman view of himself and others.
He looks at himself and sees perfection, he believes that what he has to offer is as good as it gets. At the same time Whitman believes that all other people and things possess the same traits as he does, so the effort he puts to describing his perfection can  also be attributed to everything else. Which makes me question the point of describing the beauty of something specific if the same beauty can be attributed to everything else?

I admire Whitmans style of writing, which has some very transcendental and Buddhist themes within it. Song of Myself definitely places a lot of emphasis  on the dual nature and unity of all things.The last three lines mentioned above emphasize the mystery that comes with understanding the unity of all things, the ultimate question comes to mind "What is it all about?". Whitman believes that he can find the meaning of life through close proximity with nature; it's simple and out there for us to figure out if we can get to that level of thinking.


2 comments:

  1. I like these lines too, and like you pointed out about the final 3 lines, they do seem to point out that the universe and all things are connected, though much mystery is left as to how exactly everything DOES connect. Reading through Song of Myself, one can't help but to agree with Walt about the connection between everything, even if we can't seem to fully understand it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. Perhaps that's why W's lists are so important - - a way of resisting too much "unity," of recognizing the specific beauty . . .

    ReplyDelete